We summarized the frequently asked questions.
We believe that certified facilities can significantly reduce the risk of food accidents such as food poisoning if they implement hygiene management based on the HACCP method.
However, food accidents may encounter many other factors, and we cannot guarantee that the probability of an accident is zero.
Therefore, in the certification standards, there are relevant regulations on how to respond in the event of an accident. In the event of an accident in a certified facility, this system can quickly investigate the cause and prevent the expansion of the accident.
Food business managers will have the following benefits after obtaining certification.
(1) The hygiene management stage can be improved without a large amount of equipment investment.
(2) Improve employees’ awareness of hygiene management.
(3) Through the objective evaluation and certification of the third-party Registered Evaluation Agency and the Certification Review Committee, the company can gain social trust.
(4) The positive attitudes and efforts of enterprises towards hygiene self-management measures can attract more consumers. (By marking the certification mark on the certified product, disclosing relevant information on the official website, etc.)
(5) Improved hygiene of production and processing facilities can reduce the risk of food accidents such as food poisoning.
(6) In the event of troubles caused by improper hygiene management during food production, the cause can be easily investigated and improved.
The introduction of this system can bring the following benefits to consumers.
(1) Because the names, facilities, and related foods of certified food-related companies will be disclosed, consumers can refer to when buying food and choosing stores.
(2) With the improvement of the hygiene stage of production and processing facilities, the risk of food accidents such as food poisoning will be greatly reduced.
This system certifies that specific production lines have implemented hygiene management based on the HACCP method. Foods (food groups) produced by certified production lines can be marked with certification marks.
The establishment of this certification system is to ensure food safety, promote managers to engage in hygiene self-management, and provide consumers with safer food.
However, from the perspective of consumers, it is difficult to know the hygiene self-management, and the hygiene self-management of the managers is rarely evaluated.
In order to further promote the hygiene self-management, improve the hygiene management stage of food-related facilities in Hokkaido, and provide safer food, we have established a certification system that can evaluate related measures.
This system evaluates and certifies related applications for hygiene self-management of food business managers applying the HACCP method. This system sets Hokkaido’s unique standards for the food hygiene management methods implemented by food business managers, and certifies the hygiene management methods that meet the standards. The on-site investigation of hygiene management methods at the time of certification is conducted by various hygiene consulting companies registered in Hokkaido (referred to as Registration Evaluation Agency), and a Certification Review Committee composed of experts (Office: (Public Corporation) Hokkaido Food Hygiene Association, selected by the Hokkaido Government on August 16, 2007) for review.
There is no special standard.
The content of the certification standard is:
As a measure of general hygiene management, the Operation Procedure and inspection records must be managed for the required items related to daily hygiene management such as facilities, equipment, employees, and operating food; as a measure related to HACCP, prepare and implement HACCP-related documents.
After evaluating the relevant measures of general hygiene management work and HACCP-related measures in the Evaluation Record, certification can be carried out if the evaluation result is above stage 7.
Because the methods of hygiene self-management may change due to advances in production technology or changes in consumer demand, we have set the certification validity period to 3 years for the purpose of regular inspections.
Certified food business managers can display the certification mark established by the Hokkaido government on certified food, etc. In addition, certified facilities and food (links can be attached) will be published on the official website.
This system certifies the specific hygiene management methods implemented by different facilities, and the specific hygiene management methods vary from facility to facility.
Thus, there is no difference in certification standards for facilities of different sizes.
The following managers who want to be certified: facilities that produce processed food; facilities that cook, process, and sell fresh fish, meat, side dishes, etc. and fruits (supermarkets and other facilities that have so-called back-office departments); food service facilities, etc.
If you are a food business manager who wants to be certified, please apply directly to a Registered Evaluation Agency registered with the Hokkaido government.
In this system, the Registered Evaluation Agency accepts applications from food business managers and evaluates them in accordance with the certification standards set by the Hokkaido government.
In addition, the Registered Evaluation Agency will try to ensure the reliability of the certification system through fair and impartial evaluation.
In this system, the Certification Review Committee conducts certification-related reviews at the request of the Registered Evaluation Agency and determines whether the certification can be performed.
In addition, the Certification Review Committee will try to ensure the reliability of the certification system through fair and impartial reviews.
The roles of the Hokkaido government are as follows.
(1) Revise the certification standards.
(2) Register and supervise the Registered Evaluation Agency.
(3) Improve the visibility of the certification system and strive to popularize it.
(4) Disclose the information of certified facilities on the homepage.
(5) Disclose the information of Registered Evaluation Agency on the homepage.
The Hokkaido government requires Registered Evaluation Agency to conduct investigations and report on certification business as necessary.
In addition, when we consider it necessary to ensure the fair and accurate implementation of the certification business, we will provide the necessary supervision and guidance to the Registered Evaluation Agency.
If the Registered Evaluation Agency refuses the above-mentioned supervision or guidance with no justified reasons, or the Registered Evaluation Agency is obviously disqualified, such as serious damage to fairness and justice in the certification process, its registration will be cancelled.
There is no restriction on the business area, that is, the entire Hokkaido is the business area of the Registered Evaluation Agency.
Multiple Registered Evaluation Agencies will not make certification judgments on the same facility simultaneously.
After receiving the application, the Registered Evaluation Agency conducts an on-site investigation of the facility that submitted the application, and the Certification Review Committee will review it and make a judgment on whether it is certified.
This system covers food-related commercial facilities in Hokkaido, so the applications of food-related commercial facilities outside Hokkaido are not accepted.
In order to maintain the fairness and impartiality of the certification work, the Registered Evaluation Agency cannot provide consulting services to managers who plan to apply for certification.
Certified facilities usually renew their certification at the same Registered Evaluation Agency. Therefore, the Registered Evaluation Agency needs to be organized and able to continuously carry out certification work.
Therefore, registration requires legal personality.
In addition to non-profit legal persons (such as stock companies, etc.), there are also legal persons that provide consulting services related to food hygiene management. They employ personnel with knowledge of food hygiene management and possess relevant technical knowledge.
In addition, we believe that the participation of more legal persons is beneficial to the popularization of this system.
Engaging in food hygiene consulting business or food hygiene quality management business as a legal person; employing a person who has been engaged in food hygiene related work (including HACCP related work) for more than 3 years and that person meets any of the following requirements.
(1) Those who are qualified to serve as food hygiene monitors as specified in Article 30 of the Food Hygiene Law.
(2) Those who are qualified to serve as food Hygiene administrators as specified in Article 48 of the Food Hygiene Law.
(3) Those who have completed the advanced training related to HACCP.
The registration requirements are as follows:
(1) A legal person whose business is to guide food hygiene.
(2) A legal persons who will not damage the certification system.
(3) Set an office in Hokkaido.
(4) The office set by the legal person in Hokkaido must have employees who have three years of experience in food hygiene and meet any of the following requirements.
A. Those who are qualified to serve as food hygiene monitors as specified in Article 30 of the Food Hygiene Law.
B. Those who are qualified to serve as food Hygiene administrators as specified in Article 48 of the Food Hygiene Law.
C. Those who have completed the advanced training related to HACCP.
(5) Never cheated on the certification system.
Here you can get the list of Registered Evaluation Agency.
The Registered Evaluation Agency has the following businesses.
(1) Accept the certification application of the food business manager, and refer to the Evaluation Record to score and evaluate the health management status.
(2) Inspect the submitted Evaluation Record regularly to confirm whether the certified facilities maintain hygiene management.
Those who meet the requirements of evaluators, regardless of their type of employment type or contract type, can become evaluators of the agency.
Technical advice and guidance specifically refers to providing improvement methods for the following points. (Not including the formulation of the Operation Manual and the formulation of the HACCP Plan related documents)
(1) When there is a difference between the applicant’s self-evaluation result and the Evaluator’s evaluation result, advice and guidance on the difference (why the score is different, and the method of guiding the self-evaluation if necessary, etc.).
(2) Point out problem points and related problems, explain, and put forward improvement suggestions and guidance for projects that have not reached the full mark.
Examples of food hygiene (including HACCP related work) experience
(1) Have been engaging in quality management work in food production factories, etc.
(2) Have been engaging in consulting companies that will enter food-related facilities and provide guidance on food processing and facility hygiene management.
Because the evaluation is carried out by one person, it is basically only necessary to hire one person to register.
Becoming an evaluator requires that they have worked in food hygiene (including HACCP related work) for more than 3 years and have one of the following qualifications.(Doctor, dentist, pharmacist, or veterinarian, etc.)(·Doctors, dentists, pharmacists, or veterinarians·Having been engaged in the hygiene management business of food or additives production and processing for more than 3 years, and have completed courses registered by the Minister of Health, Labour, and Welfare)
The relevant records of hygiene management are to grasp the implementation status of daily hygiene management.
Although a computer can be used to manage the records, the system used must be able to prevent tampering and securely store the records to ensure the authenticity of the records.
Therefore, the validity of computer records shall be explored; the recorder shall be identified; measures shall be taken to prevent tampering; and conditions such as exact backup shall be met.
Implementation Outline stipulates that Registered Evaluation Agency and Evaluators shall not divulge information about certification work to anyone other than the relevant personnel, nor use it for their own benefit.
In addition, the Registered Evaluation Agency must provide the food business managers applying for certification with documents to explain tthat the company secrets of the food business managers will not be leaked.
The Operation Procedure may vary according to the size of the facility, the number of employees, and the hygiene management method, so it is necessary to create it according to different facilities. If there is a general Operation Procedure, please recreate it according to different facilities.
The Operation Procedure does not have a fixed style.Please create a manual that is easy to use in the facility.
First of all, the facilities to be certified must first check their hygiene management status.Then, while considering the scale of the facility and the actual work on site, the method, frequency, and recording method of hygiene management (when, who, how, etc.) are specifically determined, and recorded in text (manualized).To obtain certification, it is very important for managers to formulate manuals and determine sustainable hygiene management methods based on facility conditions.
Food business managers who want to obtain certification must determine specific hygiene management methods based on their facilities and formulate an Operation Procedure, otherwise they cannot meet the certification standards.The certified facilities shall be hygiene management according to the Operation Procedure.In addition, the Operation Procedure is a necessary document for a third party to confirm the hygiene management method of the facility.
After the food business manager is evaluated by the Registered Evaluation Agency that submitted the application, the Certification Review Committee will decide to certify and issue a certificate.
(1) The application fee is set separately by each Registered Evaluation Agency based on personnel expenses and various other expenses. Therefore, the handling fee varies from Registered Evaluation Agency. For details of fees, please visit the official website of the Hokkaido Food Hygiene Association (Certification Review Committee), or contact each Registered Evaluation Agency.
(2) The handling fee related to the examination is determined by the Certification Review Committee ((Public Corporation) Hokkaido Food Hygiene Association) based on personnel expenses and various other expenses. For details of fees, please visit the official website of the (Public Corporation) Hokkaido Food Hygiene Association.
(3) The Registered Evaluation Agency and the Certification Review Committee have announced the certification-related fees. For more information, please contact the Registered Evaluation Agency and the Certification Review Committee.
When obtaining the certification, you need to pay the application fee set by each Registered Evaluation Agency and the review-related fee set by the Certification Review Committee office. However, no large equipment investment is required to obtain certification.
(1) Facility for producing and processing food
Please apply for the food (food group) produced on a specific production line.
(2) Supermarkets and other facilities with back-office departments
Please apply separately for each facility.
(3) Large-scale cooking facilities such as central kitchens, large hotels or inns, and facilities for making bento
Please apply separately for each facility.
If you have general questions about the certification system or the Evaluation Record, please contact the Food Hygiene Section, Health and Safety Bureau, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Hokkaido or the nearest health center.
If you have any questions about the process of applying for certification, please contact each Registered Evaluation Agency.
Food business facilities in Hokkaido are subject to certification (not limited to facilities requiring permits under the Food Hygiene Law, etc.)
This system are applied according to the wishes of the managers that they can apply to the Registered Evaluation Agency and obtain certification.
Therefore, the Hokkaido government does not force food business managers to obtain certification.
This system certifies the specific hygiene management methods implemented by different facilities, and the specific hygiene management methods vary from facility to facility. Thus, there is no difference in certification standards for facilities of different sizes.
This system is used to certify the daily hygiene management methods implemented in food-related business facilities.
Facility with operating permits generally meet the facility standards set by the industry, so there is basically no need for new equipment investment.
However, when it is necessary to repair facilities and equipment or perform necessary hygiene management, it may be necessary to maintain facilities and equipment.
The validity period is 3 years.
The content is as follows.
(1) The location of the facility, the name of the manager, the name of the facility, etc.
(2) Certification number, certification date, etc.
(3) The name of the certified product
A change notice shall be submitted when the following matters change.
(1) Addresses of certified food-related businesses, etc. (the location of the head office for the legal entity)
(2) The name of the certified food-related business manager, etc. (the name and the name of the representative for the legal person)
(3) Facility name, house number, or business name
(4) Minor matters related to hygiene management that are inconsistent with the change application
(5) When there is a status inheritance related to the provisions of Article 53 of the Food Hygiene Law or Article 5, Item 2 of the Regulations
For more information, please contact the Registered Evaluation Agency that initially performed the evaluation.
The certified facilities must apply for changes when the production process or the Critical Control Points of the hazard analysis changes due to changes to the HACCP plan.
(1) Due to the addition of new processes, the Hazard Analysis or Hygiene Management Manual has been changed or revised.
(2) Due to facility renovation, the hygiene management method of the certified HACCP Plan has been changed to a completely different method.
The Certification Review Committee issues certificates to certified facilities. Regarding the certification mark, after submitting a license agreement to the Hokkaido government and obtaining permission, the certification mark can be marked on the certified product.
If the HACCP Plan has not been changed, the Change Application of the certification shall be submitted to the original Registered Evaluation Agency.
If some or all of the HACCP Plan is changed and it is necessary to review, the Change Application shall be submitted.
When a certified facility closes or ceases production, it is necessary to submit the Application for Cancellation of Certification/Abolishment of Certification and the relevant certificate to the office of the Certification Review Committee ((Public Corporation) Hokkaido Food Hygiene Association).
Within one year from the date of cancellation of certification, facilities that have been cancelled cannot apply for certification again.
If the certified food business manager has any of the following situations, the Certification Review Committee can cancel the certification.
(1) False information is found in the application content recorded.
(2) When it is found that it does not meet the certification standards, and there is no improvement even if it is required to be improved for a long period of time.
(3) The business license has been revoked or the business is prohibited or suspended due to the provisions of the Food Hygiene Law.
When an accident such as food poisoning occurs in a certified facility, and the facility is sanctioned by its business license being revoked or business suspended, the certification will be revoked in accordance with the Implementation Outline. No new certification can be applied for within one year from the date of revocation.
a certified facility must accurately implement the certified hygiene management method. In order to maintain hygiene management, it is necessary for a third party to regularly check whether the hygiene management of the facility complies with the HACCP Plan. The monitoring and guidance of the health center can ensure that the HACCP plan is effectively and reliably implemented, so the health center performs the function of external verification.
In order to continue to be certified, the certification must be renewed every 3 years after being certified. During the renewal, the Registered Evaluation Agency will conduct an on-site investigation to ensure that the Hygiene management of the facility is carried out accurately. Even within the validity period of the certification, the Registered Evaluation Agency will check the self-evaluation results of the facility, and the health center will also conduct monitoring to ensure that the certified health management is implemented accurately.
The certification mark is limited to the certification product, so it cannot be posted in the facility. However, supermarkets and other facilities with back-office departments can post certification marks in related certified facilities (stores) when they are certified.
The use of certification marks is limited to marking on certified products. However, the certification mark can also be used on media (brochures, official websites, etc.) that introduce certified products. In addition, readers shall be prevented from mistaking other uncertified products as certified products.